Hello! I’m Jessica Swift – artist, surface pattern designer, and online teacher.
I live in the magical Pacific Northwest in Portland, Oregon and am originally from sunny Boulder, Colorado. I create artwork for products for my own shop, and I also collaborate with companies to make beautiful products like fabric, stationery, rugs, and so much more.
I make art and I make things because when I do I feel happy, hopeful, connected, and alive. Making art reminds me that I matter, in all the tiny and huge ways that we each matter. Simple as that.
But I also make art because I want happiness, hope, connection, and aliveness for the people who experience my work, too. Because I think we can all use a reminder from time to time (or maybe every day?!) that we each matter and we are each unique and valuable.
Everything I create — from animal totem paintings, to oracle cards, to fabric, to iPhone cases, to art prints, to free uplifting email series, to downloadable e-books, to printed books, to e-courses — is designed to help you remember that you’re allowed to trust yourself and follow your intuition and to give yourself permission to inspire you to live your best, most courageous, dream-filled real life. The world needs the you-est you possible!
Because when you’re following your inner voice and are content with what you’ve got and where you are, you stop fighting with your heart … and your joy and power can’t help but bubble out.
- You start to unravel your wild + colorful dreams — and take those dreams seriously.
- You find untapped reserves of enthusiasm + energy.
- You take big, brave strides — and say YES to adventures.
- You inspire other people and remind them that they matter, too, simply by existing.
- You grant other people permission to find their own version of happiness.
Everyday is an opportunity to create something true and beautiful.
Art Gallery Fabrics | T-Mobile| Mudpuppy/Galison | Duopress Publishing| Midwest-CBK | Paperchase | Workman Publishing | TeNeues Publishing | American Greetings| Chandra Rugs | Creative Co-op | Hallmark | Mpix | Studio Oh! | Case-Mate | Crocodile Creek | Michael’s | Andrews McMeel Publishing | Oopsy Daisy/Wheatpaste | Graphique de France | Design House Greetings | Gina B Designs | Landor | Blend Fabrics | Design Design | Mohawk Rugs | Christmas Tree Shops | Storey Publishing | Sellers Publishing | Calypso Cards | Check Advantage | Bedhead Pajamas | ESPN Magazine
Some other bits about me:
- I am left-handed.
- My (not-so-secret) dream these days is to write and illustrate children’s books. I’m slowly working my way toward making that dream a reality. One day!!
- I am a solo mama of two amazing young kiddos.
- I am 100% self-taught in pattern design and in business — and I’ve never had a “real grown-up job” (I don’t think my brief stint as a piano duster, at age 15, counts. Neither do my burrito-rolling days in college or my year of waitressing right after college!). I have a BFA in painting from Ithaca College, where I did a lot of oil painting and monoprinting.
- I started my career by exhibiting in juried art shows when I was 22 — but once I discovered surface pattern design and taught myself how to create repeat patterns on my tiny laptop computer in 2008, it was true love! I soon began licensing my patterns to manufacturers, and I never looked back.
- I moved from Atlanta to Portland in June 2012 with my husband, Ryan, our 2 cats, and a trunk full of glossy paint. I still live in Portland, and I still have the 2 cats, plus the two children I mentioned above. I’m no longer married; Ryan died unexpectedly in August 2018. You can read about it right here and see the project that emerged from his death and that helped me through grief. So it’s me and the babes now, and we are a-ok. Life is strange and hard and beautiful and heart-breaking and never-endingly complex.
- I teach classes online over on Skillshare. They are about pattern design and listening to your intuition. Thousands of students have enjoyed the classes. You can check them out here!
And, I invite you to join my email list!
Upon joining you’ll be signed up to receive 100 Uplifting Days, my series of 100 uplifting emails, 100 days in a row. Straight to your inbox, for free.
Interested? (I hope so!)
Here’s a peek at the kind of thing you’ll receive each day (along with an uplifting message from me to go with the artwork):