Hello! I’m Jessica Swift — full-time artist / surface pattern designer / painter and online teacher.
I hail from sunny Boulder, Colorado and currently live in the magical Pacific Northwest in Portland, Oregon. (I also spent 5 years in Atlanta, Georgia in between and 4 years in Ithaca, NY during my college years.)
I make art because it makes me feel happy, hopeful, connected, and alive, and it reminds me that I matter. Simple as that.
But I also make art because I want happiness, hope, connection, and aliveness for you, too. Because you matter, too. (Yes, YOU!) So much.
Everything I create — from animal totem paintings, to oracle cards, to fabric, to iPhone cases, to art prints, to free uplifting email series, to downloadable e-books, to printed books, to e-courses — is designed to help you remember that you’re allowed to trust yourself and follow your intuition and to give yourself permission to inspire you to live your best, most courageous, dream-filled real life. The world needs the you-est you possible!
Because when you’re following your inner voice and are content with what you’ve got and where you are, you stop fighting with your heart … and your joy and power can’t help but bubble out.
- You start to unravel your wild + colorful dreams — and take those dreams seriously.
- You find untapped reserves of enthusiasm + energy.
- You take big, brave strides — and say YES to adventures.
- You inspire other people and remind them that they matter, too, simply by existing.
- You grant other people permission to find their own version of happiness.
Everyday is an opportunity to create something true and beautiful.
Some other bits about me:
- I am left-handed.
- I am 100% self-taught in pattern design and in business — and I’ve never had a “real grown-up job” (I don’t think my brief stint as a piano duster, at age 15, counts. Neither do my burrito-rolling days in college or my year of waitressing right after college!). I have a BFA in painting from Ithaca College, where I did a lot of oil painting and monoprinting.
- I started my career by exhibiting in juried art shows when I was 22 — but once I discovered surface pattern design and taught myself how to create repeat patterns on my tiny laptop computer in 2008, it was true love! I soon began licensing my patterns to manufacturers, and I never looked back.
- I moved from Atlanta to Portland in June 2012 with my husband, Ryan, our 2 cats, and a trunk full of glossy paint. I still live in Portland, and I still have the 2 cats, plus now a preschooler and a baby. I’m no longer married; Ryan died unexpectedly in August 2018. You can read about it right here and see the project that emerged from his death and that helped me through grief. So it’s me and the babes now, and we are a-ok. Life is strange and hard and beautiful and heart-breaking and never-endingly complex.
- I wrote an e-book — JUMP. TRUST. REPEAT. — all about my journey as an artist and creative business owner. I’m awfully proud of it. It’s a collection of real-world stories + practical guidance for aspiring artists who want to go pro. You can learn all about it, over here. I also created and ran a popular e-course that I’ve now turned into two Skillshare courses called Pattern Camp.
And, I invite you to join my email list!
Upon joining you’ll be signed up to receive 100 Uplifting Days, my series of 100 uplifting emails, 100 days in a row. Straight to your inbox, for free.
Interested? (I hope so!)
Here’s a peek at the kind of thing you’ll receive each day (along with an uplifting message from me to go with the artwork):
Art Gallery Fabrics
Andrews McMeel Publishing
Graphique de France
Design House Greetings
Gina B Designs
Christmas Tree Shops